What's Cooking in Carolina?

Mainly creative menus and recipes (usually healthy) and always from scratch with tips for party planning, theme parties, weddings and decorating tips so you can give swank parties or dinners to delight your guests from a part time caterer, owner/operator of a coming soon Entree Vous, but mainly a cook and eater who grows much of her own food and loves to laugh.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Shrimp 2 Ways

Before I left for Entrée Vous training, I stopped by the market to stock up for the hus and shrimp was on sale for $3.99/lb. It was easy peel and looked good so I picked up 2 pounds and put them in the freezer until I returned. I thawed them out on Saturday and the hus peeled them. Sunday night marinaded 1 lb. in a teriyaki marinade and stir fried them with fresh aspargus from the garden and yellow bell pepper. It was great!
Last night we cooked the other pound. It was a recipe from Rick Bayless' book, Mexico, One Plate at a Time. I have to tell you, the kitchen still smells good. Here is the recipe:

1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
salt
juice of 1 lime
1 chipotle pepper in adobo, seeded and cut into strips
1 lb shrimp, peeled
2 T cilantro

Mince the garlic in a food processor. Heat garlic, olive oil and a pinch of salt in a saucepan, just until it starts to bubble, like sparkling water bubbles. Keep on the lowest temperature and just barely simmer for 30 minutes, or until the garlic is lightly browned the color of light brown sugar. The slower the simmer, the sweeter the garlic. On my lowest temperature, it took less than 30 minutes. Add lime juice and continue simmering for 5 minutes. Add pepper. In a separate pan, put in several tablespoons of the garlic oil. Heat and add shrimp, stirring until just pink, about 3-4 minutes. Off heat, sprinkle with cilantro and a T of the garlic, pepper mixture. Garnish with lime wedges and serve. The leftover oil can be used on everything!!

Check out my recipes on the website. Also check out the website of my new friend Katie, who likes to cook as much as I do. A food snob too, she's part of my new Entrée Vous family and I met her before I met her blog! Enjoy!

Re: my Entrée Vous: I hope, by next week to have signed a lease and can tell you where I am going to be!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 3:39 PM, Blogger Katie said…

    Shrimp and fresh asparagus, how wonderful! Such lovely shrimp at that price. Ours are either small or expensive.
    Will your 'Entre Nous' be opening soon?

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Blogger Katie said…

    Sorry, 'Entre Vous'
    I didn't realize you were still in the lease-negotiating/hunting bit. Bet you are anxious to get started!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Food Blog
Top Sites