What's Cooking in Carolina?

Mainly creative menus and recipes (usually healthy) and always from scratch with tips for party planning, theme parties, weddings and decorating tips so you can give swank parties or dinners to delight your guests from a part time caterer, owner/operator of a coming soon Entree Vous, but mainly a cook and eater who grows much of her own food and loves to laugh.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Cilantro in Guacamole and Pablano Pepper Relish

We are still in the vineyard every day so meals either have to be fast or planned ahead. Last night we made turkey burgers with pablano relish (Bobby Flay) and a guacamole cream (Greek yogurt, avocado, lime juice, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper) along with our second picking of asparagus EVER! We planted them several years ago and didn't pick a one last year, and this year we can only pick for a few weeks. We planted 2 varieties but only one of the purple ones have come up. We grilled them with a little garlic and olive oil. Great! Of course, we didn't come inside until dark, so dinner was at 9:00.

We also had Mexican inspired last night. It was planned ahead. It was red chili roasted chicken with potatoes, served with guacamole, marinated onions and a salad; from one of Rick Bayless's cookbooks. The chicken was okay; I think if I were to do it over again I would either cook it or marinade it a lot longer. The guacamole was, as always, wonderful. Just avocado, minced onion, serrano chili, chopped cherry tomato, cilantro, lime juice and salt. The onions were a great addition, I might add; just very thinly sliced tomatoes with a tablespoon or two of cider vinegar at least an hour before you eat. A simple but tasty condiment.




Why this obsession with south of the border? Well, two things. I stopped by A Southern Season and picked up there calendar. OMG! Diane Kennedy is coming!! I am signed up and so excited. Also Patrica Wells and Jo Anne Weir! World Class Chef's and Instructors! Wow. Then I was coming back in from the vineyard and walking through the remains of last years garden (read weeds) and no hopes of preparing it for a spring garden for at least another week, I discovered many random patches of cilantro in areas that will need tilling. This is the favorite herb of the founder and and host of weekend herb blogging, Kalyn, of Kalyn's Kitchen; Be sure to go there for the recap on Sunday. I grabbed a handful of it each evening on the way in and featured it in the pablano relish and in the guacamole, making it my herb of the week.



The recipe for the relish:

Pablano Pepper Relish (From Bobby Flay's Grilling For Life)

Serves 4

2 pablano chiles, grilled, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 large dill pickle, minced
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1/4 c lime juice
1 tea honey
1/4 tea salt
2 T finely chopped cilantro leaves
1/4 tea black pepper.

Combine all ingredients. Let sit at room temperature at least 30 minutes before serving.


That's it for today. Check out the website for more recipes.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Kalyn Denny said…

    Volunteer cilantro in the garden! I hope you realize how lucky you are. My garden is still pretty much weeds too, but if it warms up a tiny bit I'm going to go out and trim some of the herbs where little buds are sprouting. All the food you're describing here sounds wonderful. If I ever get to visit anywhere near there you must cook something for me!

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Blogger Katie said…

    How lucky to get asparagus!
    We planted some when we first moved here but the ground is too hard. Only a few spears the first year, then nothing. I'm told we would have to haul in sand to make an asparagus bed... In season it's cheap so...
    I'm done with my puny vineyard...what a relief! I shall extend my sympathy and empathy to you

     
  • At 5:10 AM, Blogger Helene said…

    Your relish is a must try. I´m waiting for asparagus to come to the market. Till now we have only greek or spanish here.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Food Blog
Top Sites