What's Cooking in Carolina?

Mainly creative menus and recipes (usually healthy) and always from scratch with tips for party planning, theme parties, weddings and decorating tips so you can give swank parties or dinners to delight your guests from a part time caterer, owner/operator of a coming soon Entree Vous, but mainly a cook and eater who grows much of her own food and loves to laugh.

Friday, February 23, 2007

Corn Puddin'

We been warming up a bit with temperatures in the 60s. It feels like the warm streak it is and we have been cooking accordingly. Last night we had Asian inspired hoisin pork chops with sautéed red cabbage and vegetable dumplings with a Chinese style mustard sauce and a soy/sesame dip.



The previous night we had jerk chicken thighs with homegrown butter beans from the freezer and corn pudding. It's pronounced puddin' in the south.



(The food is on a glass plate on a cutting board, in case you're wonderin')

In fact, that reminds me of a funny story. As a up-and-comer in the corporate world (a number of years ago, before I up, came, went and landed here), I was ask to fill in for a few missing senior executives for an executive presentation skills course. I was the junior person there. The instructor started the course giving a topic and asked each person to stand in the center of the room, unaided by a podium, charts or anything in their hands and discuss topic for 5 minutes with no preparation. At the end of the session each person was evaluated. I was told that I had a very low voice for a female, which carried very well and I had a lot of energy; therefor I should consider becoming a professional speaker. However, there was one thing I needed to work on first. I pronounce(ed) all verbs ending in "ing" without the "g": e.g. walkin', talkin', cookin'. I worked it for a long time, unsuccessfully and decided, after many years through the executive ranks, that I would rather be cookin' than public speakin'. Soon, if you live around the Triangle in NC, we could be helping you and your family eat well through my new venture, with Entrée Vous. Go to the website and check it out and better yet, go try it, if there's one near you. Come back here for updates on where what's happening with the development of my kitchen.

The recipe for southern cornbread is on the website. The recipe for corn puddin' is below:

Spoon Bread

1/2 cup sweet corn kernels
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
2 T melted butter
1/2 cup self rising yellow corn meal
1/2 tea sugar
1 tea baking powder

Preheat oven to 350.

Put corn in the blender. Add buttermilk and blend enough break corn apart. Add remaining ingredients and blend. Add more milk, if needed to make the consistency not too thick. Pour into buttered non-stick loaf pan or individual soufflé dishes. Bake for 25 minutes (loaf) or 15 minutes (soufflé) until just set in the middle. Serve hot with butter.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger Katie said…

    When I first moved 'across the pond' it was pointed out to me that we Americans also don't know how to pronounce that most abundant and healthy of all beverages. We say 'wader' rather than 'water'. It actually took some concentration on my part to 'hear' the fact that I was not properly pronouncing the 't'.
    Now I'm all befuddled - I've been missing a 'g' too?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Food Blog
Top Sites