What's Cooking in Carolina?

Mainly creative menus and recipes (usually healthy) and always from scratch with tips for party planning, theme parties, weddings and decorating tips so you can give swank parties or dinners to delight your guests from a part time caterer, owner/operator of a coming soon Entree Vous, but mainly a cook and eater who grows much of her own food and loves to laugh.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Broccoli Noodle Soup and Grilled Salmon with a Lemon Vinaigrette and Sautéed Collard Greens

What's new in Carolina? Well, both of us came down with a little bug so we’ve
had to work and eat around that. that doesn't mean we don't eat well though.

At the last big trip to the grocery store, I bought Filet Mignon, crab meat
and wild caught Alaskan Salmon on sale, Chicken Breasts (buy one get one
free) and Ground Beef (4% fat). I got into a bind and decided I needed to
cook a lot of it to keep stuff from going bad. So I skinned and deboned two
of the chicken breasts and took the skin and bones and added it into the
pressure cooker with the other two breasts and pressure cooked them with carrots, celery, parsley and onions. With part of the broth I made Broccoli
Noodle Soup with broccoli from our garden (we are having a mild winter so
far, so the greens still look good). For the recipe, check out the Swank Catering website: recipe-of-the-week. I put the two skinned and deboned
breasts into a marinade of ponzu sauce to make a stir fry, also with shanghai
pok choy from our garden. The date had come for the hamburger, so I made
a bunch of meat balls and cooked them in the oven and stored them in the
refrigerator for making spaghetti and meatballs the next night. We always
have canned tomatoes that we can ourselves and keep in the pantry. We went
to a hydroponics store to pick up a few things and they were growing basil in
their showroom. The basil was huge and I ask what they were going to do with
it and the sales guy told me to take what I wanted so I did and we had lots
of fresh basil to add to the tomato sauce.

The cooked breasts and broth that I have not used will be made into okra
gumbo or some other soup, depending on my mood at the time (and my
stomach).

I cooked the filets one night with roasted potatoes and a salad. I also
cooked the salmon, grilling it and saucing it with a lemon, dill, caper
vinaigrette and serving it over collard greens sautéed with garlic in olive oil.


It was better than any creamed spinach I have had at any high end steak
house. When moving stuff in and out of the freezer, I had knocked out a
bag of frozen white sweet corn, busting the bag open. So with the salmon I
made a corn and crab chowder. It was good; pretty sweet with both the crab
and the corn being as sweet as they are.

Cooking in Carolina this week has been great! We hope you are eating as well
as we are and staying healthy.

We would love to hear from you!

p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Food Blog
Top Sites